Skip to content

Landholders reminded to seek permits when using travelling stock reserves and public roads

Western Local Land Services is reminding landholders of their obligation to apply for a stock permit to use Travelling Stock Reserves (TSR) and public roads that are not on their own property.

Under the Local Land Services Act 2013, there are four stock permits:

  • walking stock
  • grazing stock
  • roadside grazing stock
  • routine stock movement.

Walking stock permits are used for travelling stock walking long distances from one region to another, or local stock to travel throughout the region in times of drought.

Grazing stock permits are for use over an extended period of time by landholders adjoining an enclosed TSR. Travelling stock are still permitted to access the TSR.

Roadside grazing stock permits are issued for short periods for specific sections of road in times of drought or for hazard reduction. These permits are normally issued to the adjoining landholder, as there are no watering facilities and stock are returned to the property at night.

Routine stock movement permits apply to routine movements of stock between properties occupied by the same person and are issued annually.

Western Local Land Services Officer, Kerryn Hart warned landholders there are serious consequences for those that operate without the appropriate permit.

“If you are moving stock, you need a permit unless the public road or TSR is on your property,” Ms Hart said.

“Permits are important for planning and biosecurity, and if you don’t have one, you can be fined. There is also additional liability in the event of an accident.

“Applying for a permit to use a TSR or public road is easy, just contact your local Biosecurity Officer on 1300 795 299.”

Further information regarding TSRs is available under the Livestock tab on this website or landholders can contact Ms Hart on (03) 5021 9401.

Media contact:
Charlie Whiteley, Western Local Land Services, 0428 679 974.